My Birth Story: Becoming a Mom

newborn boyI was excited when I found out I was pregnant. I assumed that since I was healthy and still fairly young we would get pregnant immediately. Unfortunately, it didn’t work out that way. It took us a year to conceive, which in reality isn’t that long. I kept a video journal to record my feelings before and during the entire pregnancy. Although I read a lot of books and listened to stories from experienced mothers, I wasn’t sure what to expect when it was time to give birth to my son. I knew that my experience would not necessarily be the same as others. However, I created a birth plan and expected everything to work out. Ha! I was hopeful but also naive.

I was about 6 months pregnant when I started having intense back pain. Sadly, I wasn’t sure what was going on but hoped it would stop. Unfortunately, the pain increased and my husband suspected I might be in labor. Thankfully the hospital was less than ten minutes away. I was admitted and it was confirmed that I was in preterm labor. The nurse gave me medication to the stop the contractions and a steroid shot for my son’s lungs. I so worried but I was thankful to have my husband by my side as well as the amazing staff at the hospital. Two days later, I was released and placed on moderate bed rest.

hospital room

Fast forward to a month before my due date and an unexpected problem happened. I somehow developed a perianal abscess (common in the third trimester) that would not heal. The pain was unbearable. I had trouble sitting and walking. The doctor scheduled my surgery three weeks before my due date. I am so thankful to the wonderful staff at the hospital who made the whole process less stressful. My husband made sure I was comfortable and helped me with my Epsom salt bath. My wound healed perfectly. I didn’t have any more problems before my son was born.

My due date arrives and I’m still pregnant. The doctor gave me the option of being induced or waiting it out. I’ll be honest. I was a bit anxious and was over being pregnant. I decided to be induced (a decision I now regret) a few days later. However, later that evening I received a call from my doctor’s office asking if I could come in the next day instead because the hospital was going to be busy that weekend. Thankfully, my older sister was finishing up my hair because I was determined not to have to do it the first month as a new mom.

The day has finally arrived. By this time, I’m familiar with everyone in the maternity ward. They asked if I was actually there to deliver this time. Ha! I was induced at 10:30 am and waited patiently for the contractions to start. When the contractions finally started it was not intense so I was feeling good. In my mind I was ready to deliver my son without an epidural. I didn’t want the medication because I just had one a few weeks ago for my surgery. Also, I assumed if my mom managed to deliver all five of her kids naturally I could handle it too.

hospital for delivery

Hours passed by and my contractions were not strong enough to make any changes to my cervix. I was still feeling positive because I was able to handle the pain. It was no different than my menstrual cramps. I was joking around with friends and family members that stopped by throughout the day. I decided to get some sleep around 9:00 pm.  My water broke at 9:30 pm and I jumped out of my sleep. 

Let’s just say things got real very fast. The pain was excruciating. The contractions were coming fast and frequently. I felt like I had no time to breathe or relax. I demanded an epidural. My husband was trying to calm me down and help me breathe. He reminded me of the birth plan and my goal to have a natural delivery. I told him he better get the doctor and forget the birth plan. The pain was so unbearable. I had to come to terms with my decision of not doing what I planned but felt I did what was best for me. It’s okay to change your mind. You don’t have to feel guilty about delivering naturally.

I received the epidural and assumed the pain would quickly go away. However, I still felt a lot of pressure and remember screaming out for my mom (embarrassingly so). I did not understand why I was still in pain. I remember friends and other moms on blogs mentioning a button to press to increase the dose of the epidural to help with the pain. Unfortunately, I didn’t have that option. I finally was able to relax and the medication started working.

A few hours passed by and it was time to push. I asked the nurse to turn off the lights and change the channel to the music station that played soothing nature sounds. I don’t think I paid attention to all the people in the room until after I started pushing. My son entered the world at 3:12 am on March 27, 2015 in front of a large crowd. My husband, mother, brother, two sisters as well as my youngest brother and his wife via Face Time witnessed the birth of my first child. It was truly a family affair. Everyone wanted to witness the first grandchild enter the world. 


All the pain was definitely worth it in the end. I was crying tears of joy. I was now someone’s mother. Everyone in the room was so happy. My husband looked so proud. It was so nice to be able to bond with him immediately out of the womb. The nurse helped my son latch on to feed. After stitching me up, the doctor showed everyone the placenta and answered any questions we had. She was amazing!

My son was taken away by the nurse for a check up and bath. They gave him to me soon after then I let my husband bond with our new son. Everyone left to get some rest. It all seemed like a blur now that it was over.  The best outcome was my adorable son. 

new dad

, ,

One Response to My Birth Story: Becoming a Mom

  1. photoboard May 14, 2018 at 5:31 am #

    thanks for sharing…

HTML Snippets Powered By :