It’s back to school time and with that comes schedules, routines, and reading logs! My daughter started kindergarten last month and I’m still drying up my tears. But, on the other hand, I’m excited for her first year of school. She is keeping a reading log every month and instead of seeing it as a chore, I see it as a challenge to find fun, new books for us to read every night. We’ve always read books before bed and it gets boring reading the same ones over and over again! Weekly trips to the library are a good way to find new books to read and even add to your bookshelf. Here are some of our recent favorite children’s books.
- The Day The Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt- It is a favorite among many ages. The crayons are on strike! Why? Well, every crayon has written a letter to the main character, Duncan, explaining why he/she is refusing to color. Reasons include being an overused stubby crayon to not being used often enough! Every letter has hand drawn illustrations and is funny and witty. You’ll laugh right along with your child as you read this children’s book!
- Say Hello by Rachel Isadora- I stumbled upon Say Hello at the library one day. I flipped through the pages and the colorful pictures intrigued me. The word “hello” translated in different languages impressed me too. The book is a great way to expose your child to many languages and cultures without being overwhelming. My daughter and I enjoyed it so much that I purchased it on Amazon to add to our bookshelf.
- Swatch: The Girl Who Loved Color by Julia Denos- I can easily see this book being a favorite of girls and boys. Sure, it’s got a female character, but she’s like a color superhero! Swatch is an interesting little girl who loves colors and captures colors in glass jars for safe keeping. However, she learns not all colors can be tamed in a jar. What happens when the colors want out?
- Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin and Daniel Salmieri- I’ve heard about Dragons Love Tacos for years. My daughter and I finally got around to reading it and loved it! If you’ve got a taco lover in the house, or anyone with a sense of humor, they’ll love this book. Find out what happens when the dragons eat spicy sauce!
- Pete the Cat Series by James Dean and Eric Litwin- We have several Pete the Cat books in our house. Pete is a cool blue cat who can play baseball, slay a dragon, make a mean sandwich, and goes to school. With many books to choose from in this series you’re sure to find one to enjoy. Our favorites are Rocking in My School Shoes, Pete’s Big Lunch, and Too Cool For School.
What are some of your favorite children’s books?