What is the #DisneyMP – And Why Do You Need it in Your Life?

What is the Disney Parks Moms Panel?

When you’re planning a visit to the Walt Disney World Resort, there are tons of details to keep track of. Between buying your tickets, deciding where to stay, planning your meals, packing your bags and a million other little things, you’re bound to have questions like…

“What shows are best for my young children?”

“Which rides take photos onboard?”

“What can all we ride as a family?”

And my personal favorite:

“Are there refrigerators in the Resort hotel rooms?”

Whether it’s your first visit or you’ve been so often Mickey Mouse high-fives you when you walk in the gate, there’s always some situation that makes you scratch your head and say, “I wonder if someone can help me with this.”

Disney fan, let me introduce you to the Disney Parks Moms Panel.

Mom, Dad and one little one can all fly with Dumbo.

“Can my husband and I both ride Dumbo with our child?” You sure can!

You Have Disney Questions? We Have Answers!

If you hang around the Disney online community long enough, sooner or later you’ll come across “#DisneyMP” and wonder what in the world it means. It’s the hashtag for the Disney Parks Moms Panel, an online forum for Guests to submit questions to a group of everyday folks who are Disney fans and frequent visitors to Disney properties around the world.

And yes, I’m a past Panelist. #DisneyMP2015, to be exact. Thanks for asking!

My friends on the #DisneyMP2015

Shout out to the Disney Parks Moms Panel Class of 2015

Whatever your issue, question, problem or conundrum, someone on the Panel is likely to have faced it, too. If we don’t know the answer right off the bat, we know how to navigate Disney’s network of resources to find it. When you submit a question, the Panelists get to work, and you get the benefit of our experience.

Plus, if you’re looking for ideas to make your visit to the Disney Parks even more special, the Panelists love offering suggestions! From birthdays and anniversaries to first visits or ideas for something new to try, stop by and ask for some pixie-dusted advice. During my year as an active Panelist, some of my favorite questions came from people who were planning to celebrate life’s milestones at the most magical place on Earth.

Disney Fan to Disney Mom

Living in the Tampa Bay area, I’ve been to Walt Disney World more times than I can count. I grew up in the shadow of Cinderella Castle. My first visit to Epcot was the year it opened. I know the difference between a Dole Whip and a Citrus Swirl, and I could probably walk blindfolded from Space Mountain to Splash Mountain and still stop for a churro on the way.

But for all my Disney expertise, a few years ago I found myself in the shoes of a first-timer scrambling for information when I became a mom. I had no idea what to do with a baby in the parks, so I did what anyone would do: I asked Professor Google.

My baby's first Mickey ears

Taking a baby to Walt Disney World? What’s a new mom to do? Easy – ask the Disney Parks Moms Panel!

That search led me to the Disney Parks Moms Panel website. I got lots of tips for taking my then-7-month-old son to Walt Disney World (Baby Care Centers for the win!), and I visited the site over the next couple of years for more advice.

Then in 2013, I saw that they were searching for new Panelists. I applied on a whim, not expecting to get anywhere. I made it to the final round that year but didn’t make the Panel.

The next year, I applied again and got that magical invitation. After a whirlwind training session at Walt Disney World in December, I was ready to start answering questions on January 1, 2015. Twelve months and almost 500 questions later, I wrapped up my magical year on the Panel. In that time, I helped Guests with advice on all those details that make a Walt Disney World vacation special, including one from a family that was looking for ways to remember their late mother. I was touched by that question, and it’s still the one I’m most honored to have been able to answer.

Say "Tinkerbell!"

The Disney Parks Moms Panel can help you plan magical moments like special photos to remember your visit.

Disney Pals Forever

As much as I loved helping Guests, it’s the friends I’ve made as a Panelist that have most affected my life, from the 22 in my class to the 100+ Panelists in our extended “family.” Many of us still connect almost every day. We share our stories, talk about kids and spouses and jobs, about weddings and births, about the news of the day, about our joys and our sorrows. And we share our freakish love of Disney. There is always lots and lots of Disney.

Think you want to be a Disney mom? If you’re the person everyone comes to when they’re planning a Disney getaway, take a pixie-dusted leap of faith and apply for the Disney Parks Moms Panel! The annual search for new Panelists usually happens in early September, so watch social media and the website for updates (and be sure to follow that hashtag, #DisneyMP). If you apply, your spelling and grammar should be zip-ah-dee-do-dah perfect, your Disney knowledge should be Tigger-ific, and your dreams should reach to infinity and beyond.

And don’t worry – they won’t ask you to walk blindfolded from Space Mountain to Splash Mountain. At least not without a churro.

www.disneyparksmomspanel.com

Visit www.disneyparksmomspanel.com and ask your own question!

, , ,

18 Responses to What is the #DisneyMP – And Why Do You Need it in Your Life?

1. Rachel Langer August 19, 2016 at 2:38 pm #

Ha! Kathy I would have gladly accepted the blindfold challenge. So happy to be part of your world thanks to the Disney Parks Moms Panel! Mickey sisters for life! Xoxoxo

• Kathy K
      Kathy K August 19, 2016 at 8:24 pm #

Me too! So glad we got to go on the wildest ride in the wilderness together!

2. Heather Lawrence August 19, 2016 at 3:12 pm #

I would love to be a DisneyMP!! One of my favourite places on the entire planet is either Disneyworld (been there once) or Disneyland (been there three times). I love being able to share with other people what I have experience on our trips with others too. Oh how I miss churros!!

• Kathy K
      Kathy K August 19, 2016 at 8:28 pm #

Heather, the application dates were just announced yesterday. If you’d like to give it a try, I say go for it! You never know when your dreams might come true.

3. Terri August 19, 2016 at 7:34 pm #

So we’re do we go with questions? Twitter? Facebook? I’m headed there in December and I have a bunch of questions!

• Kathy K
      Kathy K August 19, 2016 at 8:35 pm #

Hi Terri! You can visit the website, disneyparksmomspanel.com and either search for information on the topic you’re looking for or submit your own question. I hope this helps! Feel free to leave another comment here if you still need help. Thanks!

4. Michelle @ Sunshine and Hurricanes.com August 19, 2016 at 10:06 pm #

So glad you enjoyed your stint as a panelist! I’ve always wondered if it’s really worth the commitment in exchange for the benefits?

• Kathy K
      Kathy K August 20, 2016 at 12:38 am #

Thanks Michelle! Everyone’s experience will be different, but for me it was most definitely worth it. Helping Guests make their Disney dreams come true was fulfilling, but we also got a once-in-a-lifetime chance to stay for a week at Disney’s Contemporary Resort thanks to my work on the Panel. I really loved it!

5. Mrs. AOK August 19, 2016 at 11:58 pm #

Oh my goodness being a Disney MP would be AWESOME!! Congrats!!
    Opened a tab up and wishing upon a star. 🙂
    P.S Fellow Cowboys fan here.
    XOXO

• Kathy K
      Kathy K August 20, 2016 at 12:40 am #

It was awesome! chEARing you on if you decide to apply!

6. Blythe Alpern August 20, 2016 at 12:32 pm #

I grew up in FL so we were there the year Epcot opened as well. Still one of my favorite parks. This year, we are taking my niece and nephew for their Disney trip, and I can’t wait. Though we might have to skip some my favorite rides because they are too little, I don’t care because seeing their faces as the experience Disney will be more than worth it. Will be passing this DMP on to my sister.

• Kathy K
      Kathy K August 20, 2016 at 8:32 pm #

Nice to meet another Floridian, Blythe! There is nothing like experiencing Walt Disney World through the eyes of a child. It made all my old favorites new again. There are quite a few attractions you can do with little ones. The Disney Parks blog did a fun chart showing the minimum height requirements for all the rides. Just go to disneyparksblog.com and search “height chart” and you should find it. Wishing your sister lots of pixie dust if she applies!

7. Rachel at The Everyday Mom Life August 21, 2016 at 10:39 am #

We are going to Disney next month so this is great to know! I can’t wait to be there.

• Kathy K
      Kathy K August 21, 2016 at 5:55 pm #

Your Disney trip is so close now, Rachel! If you need help with those last-minute details, it’s not too late to ask the Panel a question. I hope you have a great time!

8. Rebecca Bryant August 21, 2016 at 10:48 am #

I love Disney my son grew up there. It’s nice to meet a fellow Disney Mom. I am hoping that this year is my lucky year. You know what they say third time’s the charm. BTW HI neighbor.

• Kathy K
      Kathy K August 21, 2016 at 5:53 pm #

Nice to meet you, Rebecca! I love chatting with other Disney Moms. It took me a couple of tries before getting that magical invitation, so I know how you feel. Wishing you plenty of faith, trust and pixie dust!

9. Ana De- Jesus August 21, 2016 at 2:24 pm #

Being a Disney MP would be so much fun, so glad that you enjoyed your stint as a panelist. That is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity.

• Kathy K
      Kathy K August 21, 2016 at 5:51 pm #

Thank you, Ana! It was indeed a pixie-dusted dream come true.