I love tacos. I could easily eat tacos everyday (and have) if given the opportunity. My children love tacos, too. Tacos have made their way into my boys hearts, and into my weekly rotation, known as, Taco Tuesday. Thank you, Lego Movie.
Tacos can also be left up to interpretation. You can use a variety of lean meats, spices, and it can be dressed with a variety of fresh and healthy ingredients.
I came up with this version of turkey tacos and it was a huge hit at home. I actually made a 5 lb batch at the beginning of the week. It was so well received, that my oldest son, 6, would eat it for breakfast! (Yes, I gave him tacos for breakfast.)
In this recipe, I kept the spicy component out of it because I have young children who do not like spicy. If you can tolerate spice, I would suggest using 2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce with 1-2 tablespoons of adobo sauce. Start small and work your way up. You can also add more spices, depending on your preference. This is a base that can be tweaked to meet your flavor needs.
You can make these gluten and dairy free by using corn tortillas, and using a cheese substitute, such as, Daiya.
Turkey Taco recipe
2 ½ lbs ground turkey
1 tbsp oil (your preference)
½ large onion, diced
4 large garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. Himalayan sea salt
½ tsp. Black pepper
1 ½ tsp. Chili powder
½ tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Smoked paprika*
½ tsp. Mexican oregano*
2-3 Tbsp. Tomato paste
Juice of half a lime
½ cup diced onions, for topping (optional)
Chopped cilantro (optional)
Lime wedges, for serving
- Combine all the spices into a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet to medium high heat.
- Add the onions to the hot oil and cook until translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic to onions and cook until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add the ground turkey, salt and pepper and cook until brown, about 8 minutes. (taste to adjust salt and pepper to your liking)
- Combine the spices and tomato paste until well incorporated.
- Finish with squeezing the lime juice over the meat and turn off the heat. Mix one last time.
- Serve with warm tortillas and toppings of choice.
What are some of your favorite or creative ways to make tacos? Share in the comment section.