Who says kids get to have all the fun? When you’re little, birthdays are just about the best thing ever. You get an entire day devoted to having friends and family shamelessly lavish their attention on you. Add to that the promise of cake and presents and you’ve got the perfect setup for fun and excitement.
But somewhere along the way (probably in our teens), we got it into our heads that we were too “mature” for birthday parties. Eventually, birthdays lost their novelty and the reminder that we were getting older outweighed the lighthearted fun we once associated with this anniversary.
Well, I say, “Phooey!” to that. Who cares if we’re all getting older? At 31, I can honestly say I’ve never been happier and I’ve never had so many positive things happening in my life. Let’s ditch the idea that birthdays do anything besides offer us an opportunity to let loose and have some good old-fashioned fun. Here are a few ideas of ways you can celebrate your birthday as an adult by having as much fun as you did when you were a kid! So, find a sitter, grab your spouse and a few friends, and indulge in a little grown up time.
1. Play a Live-Action Room Escape Challenge: Do you like to play room escape games on your phone? You know the ones – where you have to find clues and solve puzzles to get out of the room? Why not challenge yourself (and your friends) to a live-action version? I’m not sure when they popped up, but it seems these puzzling games are sweeping across the country in popularity. Gather some of your best gumshoe buddies and test your smarts and creativity. You may be surprised to know there are several companies in the Tampa area including The Great Escape Room in the downtown/Channelside district, Tampa Bay Escape Room in Clearwater, and Can You Escape? in Town & Country. Bonus: Can You Escape offers free entry on your birthday!
2. Rent Water Bikes on the Tampa Riverwalk: The newly renovated Tampa Riverwalk is a great place to run, stroll, eat, and play all while immersing yourself in the heart of beautiful downtown Tampa. Mix up the fun for your next birthday – rent some water bikes from the Tampa Bay Water Bike Co. and then grab dinner and drinks nearby. Want to add an extra bit of foolhardiness? Have your pals bring squirt guns for a rousing water fight on the river. But, please – only attack those in your group.
3. Compete in an Adventure Race or Obstacle Course: Whether you’re an avid runner, a veteran marathoner or a seasoned couch potato, there’s an adventure race, obstacle course or otherwise messy race out there for you. My husband and I recently participated in the Urban Dare Adventure Race and we had a blast. Teams competed by deciphering clues that led to checkpoints, completing tasks, taking photos, and basically hoofing it to the finish line. The best part about it? It gave us a chance to get out and explore our city in a new way. Tampa is ripe with races and obstacle courses year-round. Why not grab some friends and form a team for your next birthday celebration? Compete in an upcoming adventure race with Challenge Nation, blast through obstacles in Mud Titan or get foamy in the Bubble Run. You can also find lists of other runs/races compiled by sites like MudRunGuide.com and TampaRaces.com.
4. Take a Canoe or Kayak Day Trip: Living in Tampa has more than a few perks – one of which is the beautiful natural environment that surrounds us. For your next birthday, take a leisurely day trip by canoeing or kayaking down the river. With our network of waterways, the possibilities are nearly endless (pick a river, any river…). Don’t have your own vessel? No problem. Many companies offer canoe and kayak rentals and will transport you to the drop-off or pick-up locations. If you’re around southeastern Hillsborough County, try Alafia River Canoe Rentals or Canoe Outpost Little Manatee River.
5. Visit a Winery: Nothing says adult birthday quite like a boozy bash. This year, round up your best friends and tour Plant City’s own Keel and Curley Winery. Enjoy beer and wine tastings, grab some barbeque or schedule your gathering to coincide with one of their many events. Either way, when wine is involved, you can’t really go wrong.
What other fun ideas can you share for adult birthday parties? We’d love to hear!
P.S. Be sure to check out how to Enjoy a Entirely FREE birthday in Tampa Bay, too!